The Importance of Warming Up with Coach Christy
Warming up before working out safely prepares your body for the increased demands of exercise. Most importantly, it helps to reduce the risk of injury and also can decrease the aches and pains sometimes associated with exercise.
This happens by gradually increasing circulation throughout the body. Physiologically it assists your circulatory system in pumping oxygen-rich blood to your working muscles. Cold and unprepared muscles do not absorb shock or impact as well as nicely warmed and pliable muscles do.
Not only does a proper warm-up physically prepare you for the upcoming workout, but it helps to prepare you mentally as well. How often have you come in to the gym not really ‘feeling it’? Perhaps after you warm-up though you end up feeling much better and maybe even hit a PR that day! I know I have.
Other benefits of warming up:
- increased movement of blood through your tissues, making the muscles more pliable
- increased delivery of oxygen and nutrients to your muscles. This prevents you from getting out of breath early or too easily
- prepares your muscles for stretching
- prepares your heart for an increase in activity, preventing a rapid increase in blood pressure
- prepares you mentally
- primes your nerve-to-muscle pathways to be ready for exercise
- improves coordination and reaction times
So remember, warming up is important…so don’t be late! Your muscles will thank you.