It’s the first WOD of the 2019 CrossFit Games Open, and it’s finally here! Let’s get right to it!
15 MIN AMRAP:
19 WALL BALL
19 CAL ROW
RX: 20/14# Wall Ball to 10’/9′ Target
Scaled: 14/10# Wall Ball to 10’/9′ Target
This is a great way to kick off the season. This WOD is really accessible to everybody, no matter their ability level- and that’s what the Open is all about!
Right off the bat I started getting the text messages, “this is a tall person’s workout”. Well, I’m here to tell you…that isn’t the case!
This one is about efficiency of movements, and above all…it’s an AEROBIC CAPACITY workout.
A shorter person can row as good or better than a tall person if they have better technique. Long & smooth strokes, sitting up tall, watching your split time, and making sure you using legs and hips rather than back and arms are all going to contribute to your success.
On the wall balls, the weight is light enough that all people are relatively evenly matched, so the real question is how quickly you can cycle those wall balls. Quick squats, staying in your heels, and accelerating out of the bottom will help to conserve energy.
The name of the game is to settle into your pace early, pick a plan of how you want to break up your reps, and most importantly…keep moving!
No matter how you cut it, I think we’re in for some exciting moments.
…and you know how we do the Open here: Friday Night Lights! We’re kicking things off in a BIG way as always, so here’s the scoop:
Sign-up for your Heat starting at 5:00pm. Event kicks off at 5:30pm, rules & standards around 5:40, first heat warms up at 5:45pm, and we’ll run the first heat at 6pm.
Heats will run every 20 minutes, with a 15 minute WOD and 5 minute transition. We have 15 lanes set up ready to go, so we can run 30 athletes per hour!
- We have a DJ Ben on hand to spin all your favorite jams to get you pumped from his pro sound system!
- We have our week one sponsor SFH- Stronger Faster Healthier also on hand to give out samples of all of their grass-fed, natural protein and pre-WOD products. Recovery is key, so make sure to stop by for some special deals.
- PLUS….a super top secret SPECIAL PRIZE to give away to a registered participant at FNL!
Don’t forget that our theme for week one is our 2019 CFHV Open shirts. They are here if you pre-ordered, and we have a very limited quantity in the lobby if you didn’t pre-order.
Schedule This Weekend:
- Saturday @ 9am: Shred Sesh
- Saturday @ 10am: CrossFit Sparx
- Saturday @ 10:30am: Olympic Weightlifting
- Sunday @ 10am: Energizer Long WOD
- Sunday @ 11am: Second Chance Sundays*
*did you miss FNL? Couldn’t make it to class or Open Gym? Every Sunday during the 5 weeks of the Open we have Second Chance Sundays after Long WOD for you to make sure you can get it in!